Forum Title: Hardwood flooring router bits
I am adding some 3/4 hardwood floor to our kitchen. I have seen special router bits used for flooring to add a groove in the end or side if you need to after cutting, etc. I have seen rounded mortise bits or a more traditional square mortise type. Are there advantages to either in terms of tear out? I realize existing grooves are rounded, but I am thinking a square bit might be more useful on other non-flooring projects. I do not, however, want to go square if the rounded works better with less tearout. I am also considering ripping any splines needed on a table saw which would lend itself to the square type mortise, but again, my main question centers around tearout and the best grove. Thanks, Mike
Category: Flooring Post By: KENT HARMON (Ames, IA), 02/26/2019

What in Gods name are you talking about? Please be more specific and we may be able to better help you. Why are you using a router for anything? There's really no reason a DIYer would need any sort of router bit to do flooring.

- JOANNE GARRETT (Plano, TX), 04/27/2019

If you are only replacing a few boards, and unable to locate a replacement tongue and groove plank, it is feasible to need to router an edge. You will have to remove one of the existing boards and match as close as possible. You could also do a face nail down and putty the holes for a quicker installation.

- RUSSELL CRUZ (Waco, TX), 04/22/2019

Tips & Remodeling Resources For Homeowners

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-506-9527